Captain Ron Speirs in Foy, Belgium
* screen colors may vary from print colors

All prints are sold unframed

Print Size: 32" x 22.5"
(same size as Brothers in Arms)
Breakout from Bastogne
- A Victory of Faith -
a fine art print by Matt Hall
The final release in our 65th Anniversary series!
After “Hanging Tough” for 26 days of winter misery, the Screaming Eagles of the 101st Airborne lead the breakout from Bastogne with the angels on their shoulders. To liberate the small town of Foy on Jan. 13, 1945, the Band of Brothers charged across snowy fields led by a new hero and held together by the unit’s old hands. Now, they enjoy a moment of peace, healing, and friendship. From this day forth, they would carry the warmth of knowing that their triumph at Bastogne was more than a victory over the cold or the Germans—it was the victory of their faith in one another.
The Band of Brothers in  Foy
Contact us for re-sale availability

Only 360 prints
, signed and numbered by
artist Matt Hall & 6 veterans.

"History Behind the Art" stories/trivia

(Prints are sold unframed.)

Contact us for re-sale availability

Only 190 prints, signed and numbered by artist Matt Hall
& at least 11 veterans.

- A piece of metal skin from a P-47 Thunderbolt lost in a Dec. 1944 training mission, the perfect relic to frame with your print!
- 101st Airborne pin to frame with your print!

- Color COA with "History Behind the Art" stories and trivia

(Prints are sold unframed.)

Contact us for re-sale availability

Only 140 prints
, signed and numbered by artist Matt Hall
& at least 16 veterans.

- A piece of metal skin from a P-47 Thunderbolt lost in a Dec. 1944 training mission, the perfect relic to frame with your print!
- 101st Airborne pin to frame with your print!

- Color COA with "History Behind the Art" stories and trivia

Band of Brothers near Bastogne
(Prints are sold unframed.)
A 100 print Gallery Edition (limited-edition, artist signed) will be available only at special events to fund the veterans' travel.
A canvas edition of 44 prints may be made available in the future.
Representing the Band of Brothers
of the 101st Airborne:
"Wild Bill" Guarnere
Babe Heffron

Buck Compton

Joe Drago
326th Glider

Clancy Lyall
Don Malarkey
Ed Mauser
Earl McClung
Bob Noody
Shifty Powers
Rod Strohl
Marvin Wolfe
I-Co., 501st PIR
Ken Johnson
Representing the Fighter Pilots of
the 9th AF who supported the 101st Airborne at Bastogne and beyond!
Representing the brave
medics of World War II
Steve Domitrovich - A medic in the 575th Ambulance Co., Steve is one of the last living survivors of the Malmedy Massacre!
Ken Glemby
P-47 pilot in the
514th Fighter
Squadron, 406th
Fighter Group
Bernie Sledzik
P-47 pilot in the 514th Fighter Squadron, 406th Fighter Group
Thomas Mansel
P-47 pilot in the
524th Fighter Squadron,
27th Fighter Group
Malmedy  Massacre
One of the last survivors of the Malmedy Massacre

When Stephen Domitrovich speaks to an audience about his WWII days, as one writer put it, "He lowers his voice as if he is telling a secret." This is because Demitrovich was in the middle of one of the most horrible atrocities against Americans in WWII: the Malmedy Massacre.

In December 1944, Domitrovich was a 19-year-old medic in the 575th Ambulance Company. He had come ashore at Normandy and had been attached to the 101st Airborne throughout the campaign. Now, he found himself attached to the 99th Infantry Division and evacuating westward in face of the massive German suprise attack that began the Battle of the Bulge.

On December 17, at the crossroads near the town of Malmedy, Belgium, the German 1st SS Panzer Division ambushed Domitrovich's truck convy. The SS, under command of Joachim Peiper, took Domitrovich prisoner and placed him amongst 120 other POWs from mixed units.

Herded into a field, the SS trained machine guns on the Americans and stripped them of their valuables. Domitrovich remembered, "Then, a split-second before the first machine gun opened up, I heard a voice next to me say ‘Fall!’ and I did. I fell but I was not hit. So I decided to play dead. The firing seemed to last forever, but when it finally stopped, blood-soaked bodies were piled up all around me.”

Domitrovich closed his eyes and thought of how his mother would take the news of his loss at Christmas. Around him, he heard wounded and dying men moan for “God” or “Mom.” Then, he heard the gun shots as the SS men waded amongst them, shooting the wounded while “laughing and echoing the dying GIs” as they moaned.

“Suddenly, a big German boot held still next to me,” Domitrovich remembered. “I felt the cold of a pistol against my forehead and held my breath. The following couple of seconds must have been the longest in my whole life…then, for some reason, the SS soldier did not pull the trigger but went on to the next guy.”

As the SS troops moved on, Domitrovich lay still despite the 0-degree temperature, afraid to move. When he arose, in the field surrounding him lay 72 bodies of men who had been standing at his side, hours before. In the nearby fields, lay another dozen bodies of men who were cut down as they ran.

Top to Bottom: Steve then and now. SS commander Joachim Peiper near Malmedy. The Western Union telegram announcing Steve's MIA status. The remains of the massacre as photographed by the US Army.
Slowly, ten other Americans who also had feigned death, stood up, all in a daze. Together, they and Domitrovich plodded without speaking toward a farmhouse on a hill. Suddenly, soldiers appeared on the hilltop, waving their rifles but shouting that they were Americans. They were a patrol from the Army’s 291st Combat Engineer Battalion. “I was deeply grateful to God for saving my life,” Domitrovich remembers, “and I vowed right then and there to attend Mass every Sunday for the rest of my life.”

After a debriefing and medical attention, Domitrovich returned to serve out the Battle of the Bulge in a mobile ambulance company that would support the American breakout from Bastogne and advance through the surrounding Belgian towns.

Today, Domitrovich is one of the last known survivors of the 30 Americans who escaped the Malmedy Massacre and the 88 who died in that tragic event. Every day, Domitrovich thanks God for having spared him. He does what he can to help others and appreciates every second of life. And, as for the promise he made on December 17, 1944, he hasn’t missed a Sunday of mass since.
F-Company paratrooper Bob Noody
Bob Noody joined the Army in February 1943, shortly after his 18th birthday. He volunteered for the paratroopers, not knowing what that was about, except that it meant an additional $50 per month. His arrival at Ft. Benning was an eye-opener, yet he survived the “brutal training.” He joined Fox Company, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne at Aldbourne, England, just in time for the Normandy invasion.

On the evening of June 5, 1944, at Upottery Airfield, Noody was immortalized in a photo taken of him aboard his C-47 immediately before takeoff. The photo was first published on the cover of an Army Air Forces magazine and it took on a life of its own afterward. In the picture Bob remembers he must have weighed at least 250 lbs., encumbered with his M-1 rifle, a bazooka, three rockets, land mines, and other assorted “necessities.”

Fifty feet of rope hung from his chest, which he later used to lower his leg bag to the ground, easing his fall and ensuring he was ready to fight. He landed behind the mayor’s house at Ste. Mere-Eglise. In the ensuing days, Noody utilized his bazooka to destroy a German tank that threatened his unit outside of Carentan. It was his first and last bazooka usage, as he expended the three rockets he carried into battle. A leg wound at Carentan ended his Normandy adventure.

Noody recovered from his wounds in time to make the Market Garden jump. He fought with Fox Company from Eindhoven to the Rhine. While recovering from the exhaustive Holland campaign, Noody and his unit were rushed by truck to stem the German breakthrough at Bastogne. He froze in regular fatigues, holding the line in the Bois Jacques woods next to Easy Company, above the town of Foy. He survived the patrols and constant shelling only to be wounded during a nighttime recon patrol of Foy prior to Easy Company’s assault on the town. Noody was wounded by friendly fire when a comrade dropped a live grenade while they sought refuge in a small house outside of Foy.

Top to Bottom: This photo, the best known from D-Day, shows Bob Noody aboard his C-47 on the eve of D-Day. Bob Noody in Europe (photo courtesy of Noody). Don Malarkey, Bob's good friend, shares the story of Bob & Herman Goering's sword in our DVD, "Return to the Eagle's Nest."

Noody recovered from his wounds in time to join his unit at Hagenau. He vividly recalls lying in a graveyard on the German side of the river at night during an attempt to take prisoners. As fighting ensued a friend whispered, “Boy, what a convenient place to die.” He survived the patrol only to discover that the “Grease Gun” he carried was defective. To this day Noody swears, “I hate guns! I don’t like guns of any kind.”

As the war ended, Noody celebrated with his unit in Berchtesgarden. One day, searching a train hidden in a tunnel, he retrieved a hand-crafted ceremonial sword belonging to Herman Goering. With the help of his friends he managed to get his prize home to America, where it now resides in a private museum collection.

Noody completed his wartime duty in Zell Am Zee, Austria, and returned to the US where he received his discharge in November 1945 at Ft. Dix, New Jersey. Today, he enjoys his retirement with the company of his wife Elizabeth.

Easy Company veteran Ed Mauser
Easy Company’s oldest surviving veteran, Ed Mauser began his military service at age 24, on January 15, 1942, when he was drafted shortly after Pearl Harbor. Initially assigned to an Army Horse Cavalry unit, at Ft. Benning he observed the paratroopers in training and volunteered. Following completion of jump school he joined the 101st Airborne at Ft. Bragg and Easy Company’s 2nd Platoon.

On D-Day, Mauser parachuted into the hedgerows of Normandy with Chalk #69. He landed alone before linking-up with Sgt. Robert “Burr” Smith outside the town of Vireville. They soon found themselves in a vicious firefight around a farm house near the town. Although assigned to a machine gun squad, Mauser served primarily as a rifleman throughout the war, trusting his M-1 from the initial fight on D-Day to the Alpine forests of Austria.

During Market Garden, Mauser was one of 23 E-Company men who participated in the famous mission to cross the Lower Rhine on the night of Oct. 22, 1944 to rescue 120 British paratrooper survivors of the 1st British Airborne Division after their battle at Arnhem. That night rescue in German-occupied territory electrified the Allied Command, then reeling after the loss of over 7,000 men killed, wounded, and missing in the Arnhem assault. This daring mission remains one of the most successful operations of the entire war with not one casualty recorded. Mauser remembers guarding the left flank of the river beach, expecting an imminent attack that thankfully never came. His job was to protect the withdrawal of the survivor at all costs.

Following Holland, Mauser made the truck ride to Bastogne, clad in his regular fatigues. He endured the “toughest” battle of the war, “thanks to good fortune and the brotherhood that was Easy Company.” He reports being blessed by having a foxhole complex built by “someone who knew what he was doing.” The sturdy structure with a roof saved his life.

Top to Bottom: Ed Mauser, now & then. Members of the 2nd Platoon, E-Company, at Aldbourne, England. Standing, L-R: Cleveland Petty, James Campbell (KIA, Holland), Rod Bain, John Plesha Jr., Vernon Menze (KIA, Holland), George Potter Jr., William Dukeman Jr (KIA, Holland), Sal Bellino, James McMahon, and Robert Mann. Middle: Eugene Ivie Front, L-R: Don Malarkey, Joe Toye, Ed Joint, Richard Davenport, and Ed Mauser.

Mauser vividly recalls the breakout battle at Foy. Prior to the fight he, Sal Bellino, Richard Davenport, and John Plesha were sent on a night recon patrol of the town that was successful because “nobody was injured.” Mauser remembers that the battle for the town, which followed, was memorable in that Lt. Speirs demonstrated that his reputation as a fierce combat warrior was true. After Foy was taken, the fighting moved to Noville, where Mauser was wounded in the hand and sent to a hospital in France.

Mauser rejoined the unit as it moved along the autobahn toward Hitler’s alpine home in Berchtesgarden. Mauser spent his time there securing homes and farms and enjoying the beauty of the area in the absence of combat. Later, in Kaprun, Austria, Mauser was awarded the 85 points he had earned and shipped back to the states. On Sept. 17, 1945 he was discharged from the army in Chicago. Today, Mauser enjoys his retirement, proud of the fact that he is the oldest survivor of Easy Company at age 92.

406th Fighter Group

Based in Mourmelon, France, in December 1944, Bernie Sledzik remembers swapping souvenirs and attending USO shows with his friends in the 101st Airborne, whose division was bivouacked across the runway from his squadron.

Then, as a dreary December 17th dawned, he was "amazed to find the area that had been occupied by the paratroop division, completely abandoned." Soon after, Bernie learned that his Fighter Group, the 406th, would be tasked with providing close air support solely to their friends of the 101st, now defending the town of Bastogne.

After several days of eagerly waiting for the bad weather to clear, Bernie took to the air early on the morning of December 23rd. Over the "embattled town of Bastogne," He jumped ten Bf-109s, shooting down one. In the ensuring dogfight, his squadron downed five Bf-109s and lost two P-47s.

From that day through the arrival of Patton's relief force, Bernie and the 406th Fighter Group spent "every minute of those daylight hours within a ten mile radius (of Bastogne), attacking the enemy."

These actions earned the 406th their second distinguished unit citation, in which they were cited for having flown eighty-one missions, between the days of December 23-27. During those missions, they destroyed 610 motor transports, 194 tanks & armored vehicles, and 226 gun positions.

Following the relief of Bastogne, Bernie was sent home having completed 67 combat missions from Normandy through the Ardennes. He shot down two German fighters, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal with 12 Oak Leaf Clusters, and five battle stars among his other decorations.

Top to Bottom: Bernie in the cockpit of his P-47. Bernie's P-47 "Coal Miner" appears in "Breakout from Bastogne." Bernie, then and now. General O.P. Weyland, Commanding General XIX Tactical Air Command decorates Bernie with the DFC.


I-Company, 3rd Battalion, 501st PIR, 101st Airborne
Veteran of Normandy, Holland, Bastogne and the Eagle's Nest
H-Company, 3rd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne
Veteran of Normandy, Holland, Bastogne and the Eagle's Nest
Clockwise: Ken's P-47 "Paula" over Germany, 1945. "Paula" as she appears in "Breakout from Bastogne." Ken today. A rare color shot of Ken's P-47. Ken in his flight gear after a mission.
Shifty Powers
he liberation of Foy, according to "Band of Brothers" author Stephen Ambrose,
was "the ultimate test of the company." Beginning at 9
a.m. on January 13, 1945,

the attack to drive the Germans from the village of Foy, Belgium, quickly bogged down.

Encountering stiff resistance from the enemy's 6th Company, 10th Regiment, 9th Panzer Division, Easy’s C.O., Lt. Dike, called a halt to the unit’s progress 75 yards from town in the exposed, snow-covered fields. At times like this, Easy sorely missed troopers like Compton, Heffron, Guarnere, and Toye, all of whom were injured or infirmed and off the line.

From the edge of the Bois Jacques woods, Dick Winters watched with horror as the Germans poured fire into his former company. Winters wanted to relieve Dike and lead Easy himself. He grabbed his M-1, ran from the tree line, and then remembered his duty to the battalion.

Whirling, he came face to face with Lt. Ron Speirs, the right man at the right place and time. Winters shouted, "Speirs! Take over that company and relieve Dike and take that attack on it.” Under artillery fire, Speirs did just that. He barked new orders, got the company on the move, and, to check with I-Company on the other side of Foy, he took off, sprinting alone through no-man's -land.

As 1st Sgt. Carwood Lipton remembered Speirs’ dash, "...he just kept on running right through the German line, came out the other side, conferred with the I Company C.O., and ran back. Damn, that was impressive."

By 11 a.m., Easy, I-Co, and reinforcements from H-Co had secured Foy and captured some 23 Germans at a cost of a dozen casualties in Easy alone. But, as Matt Hall’s painting shows, after the liberation of Foy, the men had something to celebrate; they had passed "the ultimate test."

Our good friends Earl McClung and Shifty Powers (above) and Don Malarkey (below) helped us design "Breakout from Bastogne" during our 2005 & 2008 visits to Bastogne & Foy!
Don Malarkey

14. Sgt. Don Malarkey remembered an unusual run-in in Foy; "In one house, as I rushed in, a fellow American soldier was coming out. It was (lieutenant) Eugene Brown, my old classmate from the University of Oregon, the guy whom I'd twice forgotten to salute at Toccoa. I wasn't any more formal here. "Hi Gene," I said. He didn't seem to mind; combat zones lend themselves to informality. Plus, I think he glanced at the stripes on my shoulder. "Malark, great to see you!" he responded.

15. The hero of Foy, Ron Speirs. According to Clancy Lyall, Captain Speirs had the right outlook on life: "Don't worry about it, you're dead already. You just keep moving. If it's your time, it's your time."

16. Nicknamed "Chow Hound" for his love of snacks, Cpl. Forrest Guth searches his battered musette bag for candy to share. Forrest famously sewed extra pockets onto his Normandy jump jacket to accommodate extra food. Guth remembered his gear during the Bulge: "We wore our green fatigues and jackets. You didn't have many extra pairs of socks, so you had to be careful not to get wet feet and get frostbite...Everybody was dirty. You smelled...I didn't get an overcoat until the middle of Bastogne and we were resupplied by air.”

17. Ed Mauser, Easy Company's oldest surviving veteran, originally found himself in a horse-based Army Cavalry unit in Jan. 1942. After volunteering for transfer to the paratroops, he served with Easy from Normandy to Austria and holds the rare honor of being among the 23 E-Co men who rescued 120 British paratroopers from across the Rhine after Arnhem. Prior to the attack on Foy, Mauser went on a night recon patrol of the town.

18. E-Company’s kind-hearted George Luz gives a candy bar to two hungry Belgian brothers. Known for his imitations and comic relief, Jack Foley once remarked, "Every unit needs a George Luz." At the 1992 premier of the book Band of Brothers, in New Orleans, George Luz stepped to the microphone with his E-Co buddies in the audience. He said, “Nothing against my wonderful wife, Del, who I've been married to for forty years, but the three years I spent with these men were the best three years of my life.” Then, he got all choked up.

Easy Company in Foy

1. Lt. Jack Foley, identified by the vertical, white bar on his helmet joined E-Co at the tail end of the Holland campaign. Appointed the leader of 1st Platoon in the Bois Jacques forest, at Foy, he and Sgt. Martin led a bold flanking maneuver to attempt to circle the village despite sparse cover and among haystacks and outbuildings that housed German snipers.

2. The white tic in the 9 o’clock position of H-Company trooper Ken Johnson’s helmet signifies that he was a member of 3rd Battalion, 506th PIR, which also committed I-Company to the Foy assault. Here, he examines a captured P-38 pistol.

3. Lt. Foley remembered coming across a wounded kid named Smith, from California who was dying and began his last “confession” to Foley. Foley remembered, "And what he 'confessed' was that he and two other buddies had come across a PX ration and taken it. This consisted of Hershey bars and cigarettes! I told him he wasn't dying as I cut open his pants leg, sprinkled on the sulfa and wrapped his leg."

4. Representing the countless medic-heroes of the Bulge is Pfc. Stephen Domitrovich. Domitrovich traveled with a mobile ambulance company after the breakout from Bastogne. Just weeks before, Domitrovich, himself, was a victim of shock after he survived the Malmedy Massacre. There, as a POW, he feigned death to avoid execution by German SS troops who killed 88 of his comrades. Rescued by an American patrol, he returned to duty to pay the Germans back by healing his brothers in arms.

5. German Panzer Mk. IV, pulled off Eastern front to fight in the Ardennes offensive. Open hatches indicate that the crew escaped. Rings painted around the barrel by its crew signify vehicle "kills."

6. Ken Glemby flys his P-47 "Paula" of the 406th FG. Glemby's unit, based in Mourmelon, France, was tasked with protecting the 101st in and around Bastogne. Glemby was friends with several 101st officers prior to the Bulge mobilization; they would swap souvenirs and attend USO shows together.

7. 1st Sgt Carwood Lipton, one of many NCOs whose courage anchored Easy Company during the Bulge. Lipton wears a German holster that houses an enemy pistol he had retrieved. In February, Winters would see to it that Lipton received a battlefield commission for his leadership in the Bois Jacques forest and the assault on Foy.

8. Having dispatched a sniper in Foy, legendary E-Co sharpshooter Sgt. Darrell "Shifty" Powers passes around his opponent's K-98 scoped rifle. "You know," Popeye Wynn chimed, "it just doesn't pay to be shootin' at Shifty when he's got a rifle."

9. Earl "One Lung" McClung was Shifty's best friend and a fellow E-Co scout in the 3rd Platoon. At Foy, Earl used grenades to root out and capture a dozen Germans who hid in the basement of a farmhouse.

10. Bernie Sledzik flys his P-47 "Coal Miner" of the 406th FG. Sledzik shot down his second German fighter of the war, a Bf-109, over Bastogne on Dec. 23rd.

11. Clancy Lyall remembered the attack on Foy as, "One of the goddam scarriest times I've ever had." But, Clancy carried a new sense of strength after telling a chaplain he was afraid to die. The chaplain asked him, "Do you believe in Jesus?" Clancy said he did. "Clancy, that's what's important," the chaplain told him, "You don't need to worry about dying. You may go home and sit in a chair and die that way. We all die. But everybody has something to do before being taken. You do that."

12. The church in Foy, like most tall buildings in the Belgian countryside, was heavily damaged by both sides, but rebuilt by the villagers after the war.

13. Capt. Dick Winters congratulates Lt. Ron Spiers for leading by example. Don Malarkey remembered how, prior to Spiers' arrival, Easy was hurting after losing Winters to Battalion staff. "He (Dick Winters) had that uncommon blend of smarts and concern for the guys. Cool as a cucumber when the pressure was on. Fair to all. And he was absolutely willing to go through whatever we went through; hell, I always thought he was happiest when he was with us in the foxholes."

Artist Matt Hall

Now acknowledged as the rising talent in military art, Matt Hall worked for years under master visionary, Steven Spielberg, at Spielberg’s DreamWorks company! These days, however, Matt no longer paints to serve the icons of Hollywood—he paints to pay tribute to America’s military heroes.

Matt’s artistic training began as a boy in Missouri, when he met an old-time western artist named Bob Tommy, who just moved from Texas. Tommy encouraged Matt to try his hand at painting. When Tommy saw Matt’s “natural talent,” he became Matt’s mentor and taught him the technique he had amassed in his lifetime of work.

In college, Matt studied painting. After graduation, he broadened his skills, painting everything from greeting cards to animation backgrounds. His career changed forever when Spielberg’s DreamWorks company found and hired him. Matt brought and his new bride, Michele, a Texas small-town girl, with him to Hollywood.

At DreamWorks, Matt rose through the ranks, painting concept art. When Steven Spielberg had an idea brewing about the Battle for Iwo Jima,

Matt Hall was requested to do a painting for President George W. Bush, showing the F-102s of the Texas ANG. Photo courtesy of the White House.

Matt painted an “epic concept” for him that Spielberg used to pitch the film, Flags of Our Fathers. Soon, Matt was named Franchise Art Director for DreamWorks’ Medal of Honor video games series, one credited with generating interest in WWII history among young people.

Matt grew as an artist through Spielberg’s critiques. “I learned from Steven Spielberg the value of listening to my ‘creative instincts’” Matt explained. “A lot of times, marketing dictates if an idea will be well-received, but Spielberg would often fly against the grain, if he believed in an idea. There was a time when the marketing guys said ‘WWII is done and dead,” but Spielberg followed his instincts and passion and made Saving Private Ryan!”

There, Matt discovered that he, too, possessed a passion to tell the stories of America’s war heroes when DreamWorks had him create paintings for the Congressional Medal of Honor Society. Working from just a citation and a portrait of a long-deceased MOH recipient, Matt brought their stories back to life. There, he discovered his calling.

Then, in summer 2008, Matt underwent brain surgery to remove a growth behind his eye. “It was a wake-up call,” Matt explained. “It got me thinking, ‘What kind of legacy will my art leave? Will it tell a story of something important? Will it be something people will appreciate 50 or 100 years from now? It was tough to look in mirror and say ‘maybe not’ since the art I was doing would be locked away in a vault once it served its purpose.”

 After Matt’s surgery, Valor Studios, a prominent publisher of military art came to Matt with an offer to publish him. Valor Studios had seen Matt’s work for DreamWorks and asked if he wanted to paint full time to honor the heroes of military past and present? Matt heartily agreed. “It was an epiphany on a lot of levels,“ he explained, “Spiritually, artistically, and career-wise. Like that leap of faith when I went to paint for Hollywood, I’ve now decided to follow my passion and paint the stories of men and women whose legacies need to be preserved.”
Matt Hall as he signs
"Breakout from Bastogne" prints.
Valor Studios and Matt Hall wish to thank the following for their assistance with this project: Rich Riley, Joe Muccia, Brian Domitrovich, Paul Woodadge, Eric Carlson, Terry Poyser, At the Front, and the distinguished veterans who made this print possible.