In the Company of Heroes by Matt Hall
Print Size: 31" x 19"

All prints are sold unframed

In the Company of Heroes
- A Silent Reunion -
a fine art print by

On a cold December day, veterans of the Battle of the Bulge reunite at the American cemetery in Luxembourg. Here, guarded by tall pines, rest the mortal remains of some 5,000 American boys who died fighting to liberate Europe.

As the veterans reflect amidst the gently falling snow, their welling emotions confirm their often-stated belief: "The real heroes never came home."

Here, they feel a presence, a warmth amidst the cold. Something tells them they are not alone and this silent reunion is not the last.

* screen colors may vary from print colors


Only 360 prints
, signed and numbered by artist
Matt Hall & six WWII veterans:

- E-Co. vets Earl McClung (depicted),
Brad Freeman and Ed Tipper!
- Bob Noody (506th PIR), Duke Boswell (505th PIR)
and Nick Gianopoulos (99th ID)


Prints are sold unframed

Only 500 prints, signed and numbered by
artist Matt Hall & 2 veterans. Now issuing:

- Easy Co. veteran Earl McClung (depicted)
- Four jump 82nd veteran Duke Boswell


Prints are sold unframed

Signed by artist Matt Hall.

COA with "History Behind the Art" story

Prints are sold unframed

Contact us for re-sale availability

Only 190 prints, signed and numbered by
artist Matt Hall & at least 12 veterans!

- Color COA with "History Behind the Art" story
- Special In Memoriam folded flag pin

All prints are sold unframed

Contact us for re-sale availability

Only 160 prints, signed and numbered by
artist Matt Hall & at least 16 veterans!


- Photo of Earl McClung & Shifty Powers in Bastogne
(signed by Earl McClung)

- Color COA with "History Behind the Art" story
- Special In Memoriam folded flag pin

All prints are sold unframed

A canvas giclee edition may be made available in the future.
“In the Company of Heroes” is a painting based on more than just Matt Hall’s masterful creativity—this moment actually happened.

In Dec. 2004, Valor Studios funded a charitable trip to bring six of the Band of Brothers veterans to Germany to meet and greet the troops of the 1st Armored Division, just back from Iraq. Buck Compton, Babe Heffron, Bill Guarnere, Don Malarkey, Earl McClung, and Shifty Powers participated.

After two days in Germany, on the 60th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge, our tour traveled to Bastogne to revisit the veterans’ old foxholes with today’s soldiers. But, on the way to Bastogne, our host, 1st Sgt. Billy Maloney, arranged a special moment for the veterans . . . a visit to Luxembourg American Cemetery where their fallen comrades are buried.

“In the Company of Heroes” depicts this moment. Wading through countless crosses and stars of David, Bill, Babe, Don, and Earl found the spot first, the headstones of their buddies.

There, in silence, Babe remembered his best friend John Julian. Don Malarkey would break down at the cross of his friend, Skip Muck. And Bill and Earl remembered the faces of Alex Penkala and others. The veterans would later agree: this was the most poignant moment since they left the continent of war in 1945.

When they returned home, over the years, the men asked us to commemorate this moment in a painting. None pressed harder than Wild Bill and Babe (call it South Philly persistence).

So, here it is, the moment that only the veterans witnessed—but what they want all of us to see—when they stood again, in the company of heroes.

- Adam Makos, Publisher

Dale Blevins
Driver & Runner for Patton!
Steve Domitrovich
Bradford Freeman

Nicholas Gianopoulos
Rifleman, 99th Infantry Div.

"Wild Bill" Guarnere

Jack Blickenderfer
Rifleman, 4th Infantry Div.

Gordon Cullings
508th PIR
Medal of Honor


Bill Leonard
504th PIR,
Sicily, Italy, Holland, Bulge

Babe Heffron
Bob Keck
Rifleman, 83rd Infantry Div.
Don Malarkey
Al Mampre
Earl McClung
Ed Tipper
Ted Paluch
George Schneider
Scout/Rifleman, 30th Infantry Div.
"Duke" Boswell
505th PIR, Sicily, Italy, D-Day, Holland, Bulge
Don Devore
M24 Chaffee tank driver, Cavalry Recon
Glenn Magner
Radio man, 95th ID, wounded near Bastogne
On February 10, 1943, Gordon Cullings enlisted in the U.S. Army at the age of 16. He lied about his age and was assigned to the 69th Infantry Division where he rose to the rank of Sgt. Wanting to get into the fight, Cullings gave up his rank, and volunteered for the paratroopers. He was assigned as a medic to C Co., 1st Battalion, 508th PIR, 82nd Airborne Division.

Culling’s “Baptism of Fire” came on September 17, 1944 when he jumped into Holland on the outskirts of Nijmegen. Volunteering for a patrol to reconnoiter Nijmegen, the patrol ambushed a convoy of SS. Seriously wounded in the attack, Cullings tended to the aid of the wounded members of the patrol and assisted in transporting them to the aid station before receiving treatment for his own wounds. In so doing, Cullings was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for Valor and the order of The Purple Heart.

Remaining with his unit through the Holland campaign, Cullings hoped for a peaceful Christmas, only to be thrown against Hitler’s masses in the Battle of the Bulge.

On January 7, 1945, on the outskirts of Their-du-Mont, Belgium, a major allied offensive was halted by continuous German artillery, mortar and small arms fire. Hearing the cry for “Medic”, Cullings ran into the open field to tend to a fallen officer and two enlisted men. In full view of the enemy, Cullings exposed himself to render treatment. In so doing, Cullings was shot through the chest. Cullings, though seriously wounded, then carried the wounded soldier to safety and then returned, in spite of heavy, enemy fire, to carry the other two soldiers to safety.

As a result, Gordon H. Cullings was nominated for the Medal of Honor.

As a member of C Co., Cullings’ First Sgt. was Leonard Funk (a Medal of Honor recipient). Being that both men were from the same company, Cullings was awarded the Silver Star Medal for Valor (read his citation here) and Oak Leaf Cluster to his Purple Heart.


SECRET STATEMENT by T/5 Theodore J. Paluch made on December 20, 1944 to the US Army . . .

"Battery B, 285th FA Observation Bn in convoy going south three miles from Malmedy stopped the convoy at 1330 when motor fire and machine gun fire was heard. We got out of the truck and jumped in a ditch beside the vehicles. Some men took off when they saw we were being captured. They took watches, gloves and cigarettes from the prisoners then put us inside a barbed wire fence. Tanks passed for 15 minutes.

Everything was alright until a command car turned the corner. At that time an officer in the command car fired a shot with his pistol at a Medical Officer who was one yard away to my left; then he fired another shot to my right. At that time a tank following the command car opened fire on the 175 men inside the fence. We all fell and lay as still as we could.

Every tank that passed from them on would fire into the group laying there. At one time they came around with a pistol and fired at every officer that had bars showing. (One officer put mud on his helmet to cover the bars). The tanks stopped passing about 1445.

At 1500 someone said lets go. At that time 15 men got up and started to run north from where we were laying on the other side of the road. Twelve of the men ran into a house (northwestern part of the cross road) and three of us kept going. There was a machine gun at the cross roads plus 4 Germans. When we got in back of the house they could not fire the machine gun at us.

They burnt the house down into which the 12 men ran. When the three of us were in the back of the house we played dead again because a German in a black uniform came around with a pistol looking us over.

We lay there until dark, when we rolled to a hedgerow where we weren’t under observation. Laying there was a S/Sgt from the 2d Division shot in the arm. We started to walk but stayed 200 to 300 yards from the main road. In about a quarter of a mile we met a medic who was shot in the foot and a fellow from my outfit. The four of us came into Malmedy. All I got was a scratch on the fingers from a machine gun."


By Larry Alexander for the Intelligencer Journal

Gen. George S. Patton was, arguably, the most colorful military figure of World War II, and few alive today are more aware of that than Dale Blevins.

The Quarryville man spent his wartime service as a mounted messenger with Company A of the 301st Signal Operations Battalion, attached to the U.S. Third Army. His desk was a few feet away from Patton's office, and the flamboyant general had to pass Blevins every day.

"He had to walk right by me to get to his office, and if he dropped anything on my desk like a package or a sealed envelope, I had to run to my jeep and take it wherever it had to go," Blevins said.

Blevins said Patton was exactly like the man depicted by the late actor George C. Scott in the 1970 movie "Patton"

"He said it like it was," Blevins said. "About every other word was a cuss word. He was rough." Despite that, Blevins said, "He always said 'good morning' to me. He wasn't too bad of a fellow, but he was a character."

Blevins joined the army in 1943 when he was 18. A year later, he was driving a Jeep and carrying the general's dispatches. It was a job not without its challenges . . .

< read the full article >

Henry “Duke” Boswell enlisted in the NC Army National Guard at the age of 16. In June, 1942 he volunteered for the paratroopers and was assigned to G Company, 505th PIR, 82nd Airborne Division.

On July 10, 1943 Sergeant Boswell saw his first combat during the jump into Sicily. A few months later he would parachute into Salerno, Italy and help liberate Naples in October 1943. During the invasion of Normandy, Boswell parachuted into Ste. Mere Eglise (depicted in the film The Longest Day) which would become the first town liberated from the Germans.

Following combat in Normandy, Boswell would jump into Holland during Operation Market Garden and later fight in the Battle of the Bulge until January 1945. By the war’s end, of the original 146 men of G-Company, only 13 remained (including Boswell), who were not wounded or killed.

Boswell was discharged from the Army in 1945 but later reenlisted in 1946. After becoming an officer, he was assigned to the First Calvary Division in combat in Korea. There, he fought in the breakout from the Pusan Perimeter until he was severely wounded by mortar fire. After recovering from his injuries, Boswell would remain in the Army until his retirement as a Major.

Artist Matt Hall

Now acknowledged as the rising talent in military art, Matt Hall worked for years under master visionary, Steven Spielberg, at Spielberg’s DreamWorks company! These days, however, Matt no longer paints to serve the icons of Hollywood—he paints to pay tribute to America’s military heroes.

Matt’s artistic training began as a boy in Missouri, when he met an old-time western artist named Bob Tommy, who just moved from Texas. Tommy encouraged Matt to try his hand at painting. When Tommy saw Matt’s “natural talent,” he became Matt’s mentor and taught him the technique he had amassed in his lifetime of work.

In college, Matt studied painting. After graduation, he broadened his skills, painting everything from greeting cards to animation backgrounds. His career changed forever when Spielberg’s DreamWorks company found and hired him. Matt brought and his new bride, Michele, a Texas small-town girl, with him to Hollywood.

At DreamWorks, Matt rose through the ranks, painting concept art. When Steven Spielberg had an idea brewing about the Battle for Iwo Jima,

Matt Hall was requested to do a painting for President George W. Bush, showing the F-102s of the Texas ANG. Photo courtesy of the White House.

Matt painted an “epic concept” for him that Spielberg used to pitch the film, Flags of Our Fathers. Soon, Matt was named Franchise Art Director for DreamWorks’ Medal of Honor video games series, one credited with generating interest in WWII history among young people.

Matt grew as an artist through Spielberg’s critiques. “I learned from Steven Spielberg the value of listening to my ‘creative instincts’” Matt explained. “A lot of times, marketing dictates if an idea will be well-received, but Spielberg would often fly against the grain, if he believed in an idea. There was a time when the marketing guys said ‘WWII is done and dead,” but Spielberg followed his instincts and passion and made Saving Private Ryan!”

There, Matt discovered that he, too, possessed a passion to tell the stories of America’s war heroes when DreamWorks had him create paintings for the Congressional Medal of Honor Society. Working from just a citation and a portrait of a long-deceased MOH recipient, Matt brought their stories back to life. There, he discovered his calling.

Then, in summer 2008, Matt underwent brain surgery to remove a growth behind his eye. “It was a wake-up call,” Matt explained. “It got me thinking, ‘What kind of legacy will my art leave? Will it tell a story of something important? Will it be something people will appreciate 50 or 100 years from now? It was tough to look in mirror and say ‘maybe not’ since the art I was doing would be locked away in a vault once it served its purpose.”

After Matt’s surgery, Valor Studios, a prominent publisher of military art came to Matt with an offer to publish him. Valor Studios had seen Matt’s work for DreamWorks and asked if he wanted to paint full time to honor the heroes of military past and present? Matt heartily agreed. “It was an epiphany on a lot of levels,“ he explained, “Spiritually, artistically, and career-wise. Like that leap of faith when I went to paint for Hollywood, I’ve now decided to follow my passion and paint the stories of men and women whose legacies need to be preserved.”
Matt as he signs "In the Company of Heroes" prints.
Valor Studios and Matt Hall wish to thank the following for their assistance with this project: Larry Alexander, Jack Craft, Rusty Dicks, Brian Domitrovich, Thomas Kibler, Billy Maloney, Pete Semanoff, Dave Shaw and the distinguished veterans who made this print possible.