Operation Market Garden
Screen colors may vary from print colors
Print Size: 31" x 19"
All prints are sold unframed

The Veterans
September 17, 1944 - Membury Airfield
a fine art print by James Dietz

All across England, they prepare to jump. The “Screaming Eagles,” the “All-American” boys, the British “Red Devils,” soon the troop carrier transports will whisk them away for World War II’s largest airborne invasion to date: Operation Market Garden, a surprise jump to secure vital bridges and roadways in Holland.

Among these units is Easy Company, 506th PIR, seen here. On this morning, the company’s veterans give the new replacements a helping hand. Checking harnesses, uttering encouragements, the veterans’ bravado will settle the rookies’ nerves. Someday, when the new guys look back, they’ll understand: it’s just another day in a company of heroes.

Only 290 prints, each numbered and signed by artist
Jamed Dietz. Includes 12 veteran signatures:

- The separate autograph of E-Co Sgt. Don Malarkey!

- E-Co. medic Al Mampre, depicted in "The Veterans"
- E-Co. veterans Brad Freeman & Earl McClung
- 1st time 101st signers Dan McBride & Lou Zanzinger
- C-47 pilot Joe Turecky & radioman Gil Weiss
- 82nd Airborne paratrooper Les Cruise
- Plus THREE more veterans from our list below

- 101st & 82nd Airborne pins to frame with your print
Color COA with "History Behind the Art" trivia

Don Malarkey

All prints are sold unframed

Only 190 prints, signed and numbered by
James Dietz & 4 Market Garden veterans:

- E-Co. medic Al Mampre, depicted in "The Veterans"
- 1st time signers, C-47 pilot Don Shady and 82nd glider trooper Richard Rohleder
- 101st Airborne icon Lou Venditti


Medic Al Mampre

All prints are sold unframed

Contact us for re-sale availability

Only 180 prints, each numbered and signed by artist
Jamed Dietz. Includes 22 veteran signatures!


- An aircraft skin relic from C-47 "Night Fright" that flew from Membury during Market Garden
- A piece of a WWII parachute recovered by historian
Paul Woodadge from a barn near Ravenoville, France
- 101st & 82nd Airborne pins to frame with your print
Color COA with "History Behind the Art" trivia

C-47 Market Garden

All prints are sold unframed


Only 10 prints worldwide. Each is numbered and signed by artist James Dietz and includes an incredible
26 AUTOGRAPHS by Market Garden veterans!
Each print includes a rare signature strip, signed for Valor Studios

- An aircraft skin relic from C-47 "Night Fright"
- A piece of a WWII parachute
- 101st & 82nd pins to frame with your print
-mini-DSC & Bronze Star medals
Color COA with "History Behind the Art" trivia


(listed by state, east to west)

C-47 Market Garden

All prints are sold unframed

Alex W., CT
Steven A., NY
Linda H., PA
Craig K., IN
Larry M., OK
John M., TX
Gene R., CO
Rich R., NV
Joseph B., CA
Eric B., AK
A canvas giclee edition may be made available by Valor Studios in the future. A Signer Proof edition of 100 prints exists for print signers.
An Artist Proof edition of 150 prints bearing only the artist's signature and a Gallery edition of 100 prints bearing only the artist's signature are available via the artist and his publisher.
James Dietz The Veterans

By sheer numbers, Operation Market-Garden was staggering. From 22 airbases across England, the First Allied Airborne Army prepared to board 1,500 aircraft that would carry them into occupied Holland. By its completion, 41,000 airborne troops would come to earth on Dutch soil.

So where's the artwork commemorating this, the largest airborne operation in world history? Few artists have dared to take-on the size and scope of such a painting—until now. We're thrilled to present “The Veterans,” from the brilliant brush strokes of James Dietz, the world’s foremost combat artist!

Set on the damp tarmac of RAF Membury on the morning of September 17, 1944, this snapshot of history features a staggering 27 figures, 5 aircraft, 2 jeeps, and the heroes the world has come to revere: The Band of Brothers. 


1.) Here we see their leader, Dick Winters beside the jeep, speaking with 2nd Battalion staff, including Herbet Sobel. Winters has come a long way since D-Day; he's now Easy’s beloved company commander.

It’s veterans like Winters, whose manner steadies the new replacements' nerves. And there are plenty of new faces here, as the 506th Regiment has had to replace the more than 400 paratroopers killed or missing in Normandy and many more wounded.

2.) Bull Randleman chomps a cigar as he checks the harness of one such replacement, James Miller. Miller would be killed in action three days later, one of six Easy Company men to give their lives in the campaign.

3.) Squad leader Johnny Martin lays reassures medic, Al Mampre. Al missed D-Day due to a severe infection but he’ll soon distinguish himself on the road to Eindhoven by charging into the line of fire to treat Lt. Brewer, shot through the neck by a sniper. The same sniper would shoot Al through the calf—but not before Al would save Brewer's life.

4.) David Webster helps Don Hoobler shoulder his parachute. For men like Webster, wounded in Normandy, this jump offers the chance to settle old scores. “I owe the Germans several bullets and as many hand grenades as I can throw,” he would boast.

5.) The uniforms of these trooper are different from their D-Day attire; they wear the new, M-1943 green fatigues, complete with an American flag on the sleeve. Gone from their helmet nets are the canvas strips and in their place are first aid kits, tied to the netting for quick access.

6.) Even C-47s have changed; since Normandy, the tops of their black and white D-Day invasion stripes have been removed. Two planes leap into the sky for a readiness check flight, while the others await their human cargo.

7.) These 81st Squadron C-47s will survive, although two planes from their sister squadron, the 79th Squadron, will be among the sixteen C-47s lost that day. In tribute to these brave aircrew, Jim Dietz painted them loading-up as a pilot reviews last-minute details.

8.) The C-47 “Buzz Buggey,” which will drop Sgt. Carwood Lipton and the men of Chalk 75. Today, a C-47 flies wearing these markings.

It’s our hope that this painting will provide endless viewing pleasure and an everlasting tribute to the these “Angels from Above,” the more than 14,000 American paratroopers who jumped in Market-Garden.

Build in 1943, C-47 #42-100521, "Night Fright," was assigned to the 79th Squadron of the 436th Troop Carrier Group, the same group depicted in "The Veterans"!

The aircraft was flown by Capt. Bill Watson and Lt. James Hardt in the D-Day drop, where it received more than 200 bullet holes that took two weeks to repair.

On September 17, 1944, "Night Fright" flew paratroopers of the 506th P.I.R., 101st Airborne, from Membury airfield to their drop zone of Son, Holland. Tragically, two of the squadron's C-47s would never return.

"Night Fright" would continue to fly in the ETO, even towing gliders during Operation Varsity. In 2012, "Night Fright" was found in Arkansas and purchased by Charlie and Philip Walker, whose business, Walker Logistics, owns Membury airfield.

"Night Fright" is currently being restored by Frank and Glen Moss and will be flown to England by Charlie, who will then base the aircraft at its former Membury home!


Gordon Cullings
Charlie Co.
508th P.I.R.
Medal of Honor nominee!


Easy Company
506th P.I.R.
"Wild Bill" Guarnere
Easy Company
506th P.I.R.
John Coates

Charlie Co.
508th P.I.R.

Buck Compton
Easy Company
506th P.I.R.
(Sig Card)

Les Cruise
505th P.I.R.

Babe Heffron
Easy Company
506th P.I.R.

Don Malarkey
Easy Company
506th P.I.R.
(Sig Card)
Al Mampre
Easy Company
506th P.I.R.

"Pee Wee"
George Co.
506th P.I.R.

Don Jakeway
508th P.I.R.
Clancy Lyall
Easy Company
506th P.I.R.
Dan McBride

Fox Company
502nd P.I.R.
Earl McClung
Easy Company
506th P.I.R.
Bob Noody
Fox Company
506th P.I.R.
Jerry Parker

C-47 Pilot
61st TCG
Mel Pliner

Glider Pilot
436th TCG

Richard Rohleder

320th Glider
Field Artillery

Don Shady

C-47 Pilot
435th TCG
Rod Strohl
Easy Company
506th P.I.R.
Fred Trenck
C-47 pilot
441st TCG
Joseph Turecky

C-47 Pilot
440th TCG
Louis Venditti
HQ Company
506th P.I.R.
Gilbert Weiss

C-47 Radioman
440th TCG
Jean Crawford

C-47 Pilot
441st TCG
Bill Fasking

Glider Pilot
437th TCG
Earl Neal
101 years old!

C-47 Pilot
435th TCG
Guy Whidden

HQ Company
502nd P.I.R.
Elijah Whytsell

Easy Company
506th P.I.R.
Tony Zanzinger

501st P.I.R.
82nd Airborne Paratrooper

Born in Virginia, John enlisted in 1942 and voluntered as a medic in the 508th P.I.R., 82nd Airborne. John's first jump was Market Garden, where he supported the 508th in their attack on the bridge at Nijmegen. Following Market Garden, John was assigned to C-Company, 508th P.I.R. where he met fellow medic Gordon Cullings, also a signer on "The Veterans."

During the Battle of the Bulge, John was with C-Co. when they took the town of Holzheim and captured 80+ Germans. John's friend, 1st Sgt., Leonard Funk (shown at left), gave him his .45 to guard a German doctor, and then took off to command his men. As John was guarding the doctor, a German patrol attacked from the rear, freed the 80 German POWs, and captured several C-Co. men. John was fortunate to not be captured.

When Leonard returned to the area, he was briefly captured, then broke free, and earned the Medal of Honor by killing more than 20 of the Germans and liberating his men. When the fight was over, John tended to the American & German wounded.

John was later seriously wounded, while helping care for wounded paratroopers who ventured into a minefield. He was discharged in Dec. 1945, earned a degree from Virginia Tech, and worked on radar systems with Westinghouse until retirement. John remains married to his wife, Mildred, for more than 70 years.

101st Airborne Paratrooper

"Jim "Pee Wee" Martin acted like he'd been here before, like jumping from a plane is as easy as falling off a log.

Maybe that's because he had -- 70 years ago.

"I'm feeling fine," Martin told reporters moments after landing in a French field. "... It was wonderful, absolutely wonderful."

Martin was part of the U.S. 101st Airborne Division that parachuted down over Utah Beach in their bid to retake France and, eventually, the rest of Europe from Nazi Germany. They actually touched down in enemy-controlled territory a night before what's referred to as D-Day.

His jump Thursday in the same area was different and -- despite his being 93 years old now -- a whole lot easier.

"It didn't (compare)," Martin said, "because there wasn't anybody shooting at me today."

Every year, every day it seems, the number of surviving World War II veterans like Martin dwindles.

He estimates there are only a few dozen members of his unit" . . . read the rest of the story here where you can also enjoy a CNN video showing Jim's jump at age 93.

101st Airborne Paratrooper

"3 Purple Hearts, 2 stints in uniform, 1 headfirst landing"
by Dennis Wagner, USA Today

Even when you're 90 years old, some memories from your teenage years stand out with clarity.

Daniel McBride recalls going to a Conneaut, Ohio, movie theater in 1942 with his date and seeing her excitement over a newsreel showing U.S. soldiers jumping out of airplanes.

"I was scared to death of heights," McBride says, "but I thought, 'If they can do it, there's no reason I can't.' So I enlisted in the Army and signed up to be a paratrooper."

Skip ahead to June 1944, in a night sky over Normandy illuminated by Nazi anti-aircraft fire. McBride's parachute lines got tangled with his leg, and he floated to earth upside down, landing on his head.

"It knocked me out," he says. "When I came to, everything hurt, even my hair."

McBride, a sniper and rifle grenadier with the 101st Airborne Division's 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment, wandered in search of friendly forces until bullets began to fly and he saw a German duck behind bushes" . . . read the rest of Dan's story here.

C-47 Pilot with Five Airborne Drops!

Born in Illinois, Jerry joined the Army in 1940 and became a C-47 pilot assigned to the 53rd Squadron of the 61st Troop Carrier Group. In 1943, Jerry helped ferry the squadron's aircraft from the US to Africa where they were first stationed.

There, he flew the C-47 "Sky King" several times during supply missions, an aircraft that survived the war and is currently flown by the Mid American Flight Museum.

Jerry's first combat mission was in July 1943, during the invasion of Sicily, where he dropped the 82nd Airborne into battle, after nearly being shot down by the US Navy.

His next big mission was that September, when he again dropped the 82nd Airborne, this time near Salerno, during the invasion of mainland Italy.

The squadron then moved to England, being based at Barkston Heath airfield, where Jerry flew the D-Day mission, dropping the 507th P.I.R., 82nd Airborne. Scattered by heavy clouds near the drop zone, he remembers flying home alone.

That September, Jerry and his fellow pilots learned they would be making their first daylight drop of the war, dropping the British 1st Airborne as part of Market Garden. The news didn't sit well with the 53rd pilots since they felt they would be easy targets during the 100 mile route over enemy terriority, in daylight.

Fortunately, the mission went off without serious trouble, as Jerry felt they caught the Germans by surprise. The next day, his squadron towed gliders, low and slow, and lost 3 aircraft.

Jerry continued to fly supply missions in the ETO with his final drop mission being in March 1945 for Operation Varsity where he once again flew British paratroopers. Enjoy a video of Jerry telling flying stories.

Market Garden Glider Pilot
"Despite the dangerous job of flying "canvas coffins" over enemy territory during World War II, the pilots of gliders did not receive hazardous duty pay or pilot's wings until July of 1944.

Mel Pliner of Safford is one of those glider pilots. Growing up in Brooklyn, N.Y., Pliner participated in a program call the Citizens Military Training Corps in the late 1930s, which got him out of the city for two weeks during the summer.

In this program, Pliner and other young men were trained for the military and in field artillery. When the World War II draft began, Pliner knew that with his background, he would be drafted and sent to war as part of the field artillery -- something he didn't want to happen.

"I knew when I was drafted they would see my record of that field training and send me to the field artillery, where I would be out in the field and digging foxholes," Pliner said. "I decided to volunteer so I wouldn't have to deal with foxholes."

At first, Pliner was going to volunteer with the Navy, but after hearing he would need to enlist for a six-year tour, he decided that was too much and moved on.

His next stop was across the hall at the Army Air Corp, which required a six-month enlistment. To that, Pliner said . . . read the rest of Mel's story here.

82nd Airborne Glider Artillery
Richard Rohleder
Born in Kansas, Richard enlisted in Army in 1943 and became a specialist in the 75mm pack howitzer. He was assigned to the 320th Glider Field Artillery Battalion in England, but missed D-Day.

During Market Garden, Richard and the unit landed near Groesbeck in gliders. Their assignment was to provide supporting fire to units of the 325th Glider Infantry and later the 505th PIR during the establishment of a bridgehead across the Waal river.

Richard assisted the 75mm gun crews not only in setting up the batteries but also in climbing telephone poles to remove wires which could impede their fire. He also took on the hazardous duty of stringing communications wire to forward artillery elements in enemy held territory.

Being of German decent, Richard was able to read and speak German which came in handy when he and his unit captured a German military train packed with supplies and rations.

Following Market Garden, Richard and the 320th were deployed near Webermont, Belgium, during the Battle of the Bulge, where they fired more than 18,000 rounds of artillery to help stem the German assault.

After the Bulge, Richard fought across the Rhine and ended the war as part of US occupation forces in Berlin.

Market Garden & Bastogne C-47 pilot

Born in Idiana, Don attended college as a pre-med student before joing the air corps to do his part in WWII. For him it was a chance to "be up in the air where it was clean."

In January 1944, he became a pilot assigned to the 78th Troop Carrier Squadron, 435th Troop Carrier group and joined the unit at their base in Welford Park, England.

Don piloted his C-47 on September 17, 1944, dropping the 502nd PIR, 101st Airborne during Market Garden. He remembers the paratroopers that morning: "They were so loaded down with equipment that they needed help getting off the ground!"

Over his drop zone, Don's earphones suddenly went silent as his plane was hit by small arms fire. He saw that the radio wire had been clipped by a bullet but the worst damage he couldn't see.

Upon landing in England, he discovered that they had been hit in their fuel tank, which caused a leak running along the lower side of the fuselage. Don attributes the slip stream from keeping their fuel from running out and feels it was a miracle they didn't go up in flames from the damage.

After Market Garden, Don went on to drop supplies to the 101st Airborne, surrounded at Bastogne, several times in December 1944. He left the service in 1945 and worked for an agriculture company for 38 years until retirement.

D-Day & Market Garden C-47 Pilot

Born in Indiana, Fred joined the Army Air Corps in 1942 and became a pilot assigned to the 301st Squadron of the 441st Troop Carrier group based at Merryfield Airfield in England.

On the D-Day drop, Fred piloted his C-47 "Pee Wee" and earned the admiration of the 501st P.I.R., 101st Airborne paratroopers he was carrying.

Paratrooper S/Sgt. Joe Kenney remembered, "Just before the green light, I heard (another trooper) screaming at me. I had not hooked my static line to the steel cable in the plane and would've gone out the door without realizing it. On the green light, our pilot, Lieutenant Trenck, slowed the plane down and lifted the tail as we exited."

101st Airborne historian Mark Bando would note that "few paratroopers have been able to remember the names of their D-Day pilot, but Lieutenant Trenck's exemplary performance made quite an impression ..." Fred's most harrowing moment from D-Day happened when a C-47 came head on through his formation.

Fred dropped paratroopers of the 508th P.I.R., 82nd Airborne during Market Garden and also towed a glider resupply. He remembers the intial drop going well but future Market Garden missions being tougher since the Germans were now on alert.

After Market Garden, Fred brought the 17th Airborne and supplies into the Battle of the Bulge and later flew the Varsity drop.

At the war's end, he remained in the military, and became a fighter pilot, instructing in the T-33 and F-86. He retired from the Air Force as a Lt. Colonel in 1964.

Market Garden & Varsity C-47 Pilot

Born in Massachusetts but raised in Manhattan, Joe received his wings shortly before his 22nd birthday and then joined the 96th Squadron of the 440th Troop Carrier Group.

Being a replacement, he was not assigned to the D-Day drop but flew his first mission the next day. He would recall, "from my position in the co-pilot's seat, I made a youthful idiotic comment just before our drop, I said, "I hope they shoot at us, I would like to see what it is like.""

A moment later, anti aircraft fire was streaking up towards Joe, who remembers, "my eyes bugged out at the sight because this was the real thing and that moment I became a combat veteran in a hurry." He successfully made the supply drop and landed, only to find a large hole in his left wing that narrowly missed the fuel tank!

In July 1944, he flew in the invasion of Southrn France, and then in September 1944, Joe took off from Fulbeck Airfield in England with a plane full of 82nd Airborne paratroopers for Market Garden.

Over the drop zone, Joe would remember: "I felt an explosion at the rear end of my airplane. It kicked my plane up about six feet, but I quickly brought it back down into formation. I smelled smoke and yelled to the crew chief to check for fire. He couldn't' find any so we just kept going."

Joe dropped his stick and when he returned to England his crew chief called him to the back of the plane, there, he saw that they had taken a hit from a 20mm shell that resulted in more than 100 holes in the aircraft, some of which had frayed the control cables.

After Market Garden, Joe would go on to fly the 17th Airborne into the Battle of the Bulge and participate in Operation Varsity, towing gliders across the Rhine. He would remain in the military, retiring as a Lt. Colonel in the Air Force with 2,000+ flight hours.

101st Airborne Paratrooper
"It was a lifetime ago, but Louis Venditti has never forgotten how time stretched out as his 137-pound frame hung from a parachute over the French countryside, German guns blazing below.

Venditti, 87, was part of the advance wave of paratroopers airlifted into France to prepare the way for the D-Day assault on Normandy Beach in 1944.

He survived four major battles, came home with a chest full of medals -- including the Purple Heart and Belgian Croix de Guerre -- and joined the Chicago Heights Fire Department, retiring in 1979 after three decades of working two jobs (days off he worked as a roofer).

Two months ago, he got up from his leather recliner to check the mail and found a letter notifying him he had been awarded the French Legion of Honor, France's highest honor.

Receiving the honor will be an amazing moment for an Italian kid who grew up in a Chicago Heights neighborhood called Hungry Hill, where his family kept goats.

Venditti said perhaps the most important thing he took home from the war was the courage to ask his future wife" . . . read the rest of Lou's story here.

101st Airborne Paratrooper & author
"When Guy Whidden first saw the German Luger pistol that is now a souvenir of his tour of duty in World War II, it was pointed at his forehead.

A German officer had Whidden pinned to the ground. Whidden's 30-caliber machine gun was across his chest and his trench knife was out of reach.

With no other options, Whidden said he just relaxed and lay there on the ground. "It seemed like an eternity," he said.

Whidden doesn't know why the officer let him up and handed over his pistol, rather than pulling the trigger.

The only thing he can think of, he said, was that the man didn't want to kill someone so young.

Now, sitting in his front room in Frederick, the 85-year-old laughs about the experience. "Technically, I was a prisoner of war for about 20 seconds," Whidden said.

It was September of 1944, Whidden said, and he was in Holland, with the 101st Airborne Division, the Screaming Eagles. A few months earlier, he'd been one of the paratroopers who'd dropped into occupied France on D-Day. He turned 21 during the battle for the town of Carentan, between Omaha and Utah beaches.

Coming out of the town, Whidden encountered a German machine gun emplacement" . . . read the rest of Guy's story here.

Easy Company Paratrooper
The son of a WWI veteran, Elijah grew up in Ohio where he would visit his local airport to watch a group of amateur parachutists jump. When the war came, he and his two brothers all joined up. Elijah volunteered to become a paratrooper and joined Easy Company, 506th PIR, prior to Operation Market Garden.

Assigned as a replacement, he became a part of Bob Rader's 3rd Squad, 1st Platoon, that consisted of Clancy Lyall, Floyd Talbert, Don Hoobler, David Webster, and James Miller, among others.

Webster would write about Elijah in his memoir, Parachute Infantry, remembering him as: “quite young and friendly, full of talk and wisecracks . . . (he) appeared to be quite a good soldier.”

Operation Market Garden was Elijah's first combat jump. “As we drove off and saw more action, Pvt. Miller, one of my buddies was killed by a German grenade, 20 feet from where I’m standing. He always talked about how he was raised by his Grandmother,” Elijah would remember in an interview.

Elijah would participate in the action at the dike where Captain Winters lead a bayonet charge. Later, he was caught in an artillery barrage, until his world went black and he woke up in England.

Diagnosed with having suffered a serious brain injury from the blast, Elijah never returned to combat.

101st Airborne Paratrooper

"Assigned to the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment - the first airborne unit in U.S. military history - Zanzinger made his first combat jump on D-Day, descending into Normandy from a C47 Skytrain.

Upon landing, Zanzinger found himself alone, nearly nine miles from his planned drop zone.

After linking up with other mis-dropped paratroopers from the 101st Airborne and the 82nd Airborne, they quickly formed a makeshift squad and fought their way through the completion of their objectives.

Two days after their initial combat action in Normandy, the 501st was tasked with taking down a German machine gun nest. In the midst of their assault, Zanzinger began to take sniper fire, so he dove into a trench.

Moments later, he heard a fellow soldier screaming for a medic. With no medic in sight, Zanzinger went to provide aide to the soldier, only to discover that it was his childhood friend, Henry McParland.

McParland had sustained shrapnel wounds to his legs, stomach and arms, so Zanzinger, along with another fellow soldier, wrapped McParland in a parachute and" . . . read the rest of Tony's story here and enjoy this news video of Tony speaking about his WWII experiences.

James Dietz

Jim Dietz has gained international recognition in aviation, military and automotive art circles for his unique approach to these genres. "The people, settings and costumes are what make early 20th Century history exciting and romantic to me."

It is this feeling that makes Jim Dietz and his artwork so different from his contemporaries. Rather than simply illustrate hardware, Jim prefers to portray human involvement, to show in his paintings the interaction between man and machine-after all, he says, "it is the people who make machines great-by design, by operation and by dedication."

A native of San Francisco, Jim graduated from Art Center College of Design in 1969 and began a successful illustration career. In 1978, Jim and his wife to move to Seattle where he began to fulfill his dream of specializing in historical aviation, automotive and military art. His clients have included everyone from Boeing to the Army's Delta Force.

Jim still lives in Seattle, with his wife, Patti, son, lan and his Australian Shepherd, Tazzy, who is seen often in Jim's paintings. His studio resembles a World War I aviator's bar, filled with flying and automotive memorabilia, wooden props and model airplanes.

Valor Studios wishes to thank the following for their assistance with this project: Joe Conway, Glen Moss, Joe Muccia, Rich Riley, Charlie Walker, and the distinguished veterans who made this print possible.